Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Success?


Since March of this year, I've been looking for a job that would allow me to stay at home with my daughter, Sophia, for most of the day. I love being with Sophia, and Ben and I think it's really important that we focus our time, energy, and love on her -- even if it means that we don't have "successful" careers.


As Dr. Jim Houston said in an interview with John Gardner, of Regent College's Et Cetera,
And a depleted self is a professional self. Success is a trait that is associated with reductionism. ... if you want to be successful on Wall Street, you may have to neglect your family. Whatever you focus on, you can be successful. But what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet forfeit his own soul? Well, that's success. Success is a relational failure.
Those last two sentences continue to fascinate me. Especially because they were written by a man who is, himself, successful. He has a nice house in an expensive neighborhood and is friends with wealthy and famous people all over the world. I wonder what he would say about himself: is he a relational failure?


What would I say about myself? 
Certainly, the fact that I don't have a successful career at the moment does not translate directly to my having successful relationships. But it might, perhaps, allow for them. In truth, I have no career at the moment. I have an impressive resume and I currently work three different jobs (tutoring ESL students one-on-one in Vancouver; tutoring ESL students in Beijing over the Internet for Opal; and tutoring students in reading and writing with Dr. Tang), but I spend the vast majority of my time with my two-year-old daughter, Sophia Marie Amundgaard, and my husband, Ben. Usually, I enjoy those relationships, but sometimes they are very hard for me. Perhaps success in these relationships is indicated by faithfulness. All three of us continue to spend time with each other, support each other, and grow with each other. We are committed to each other much more than we are committed to anything else (including financial success).


Early in the above quote, Dr. Houston said "Success is a trait that is associated with reductionism." I think he's totally right. At the moment, I am focused on relating to my immediate family -- all other candidates for my attention are severely reduced. I never thought that I'd be this way. I thought I'd always have lots of hobbies and friends and a full calendar. There is a real way in which life feels reduced. And at the same time, there is a real way in which life feels abundant, full.

I pray that I would always be protected from the temptation to forfeit my soul. And I know that this means that I may always feel poor. Lord, have mercy upon us.

2 comments:

  1. Jen,

    The winner is not necessarily the one who is "successful" in the eyes of others. I say, why bother with who is winning as long as I am deeply loved by my Father in Heaven! No strife, just sit and enjoy His love. Isn't it wonderful?

    Winnifred

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...yet you are so rich. Perhaps we don't really know what it means to be poor. As our lives have changed multiple times we have downsized so much and simplified our home and lives. I'm sure many look upon us as 'poor' but we are living content in the Lord. However I know and understand 'feeling' poor and being poor are two different states of being. I pray you learn to live content whether having little or much as Paul refers to in Philippians. Focus on that which feels full and abundant...loving the Lord with all your heart, soul and mind...and your family. I feel sorry for the man who said success is relational failure. What was the 'success' he was pursuing? I believe I am successful in life...and my relationships are as rich or richer than they have ever been. I don't believe his measuring 'stick' is the same as mine.

    ReplyDelete