Wednesday, August 25, 2010

03 April: Burps, bacon, and babies (Jen)

I hate burping. Really. Not so much when other people do it, but I feel like my body is trying unsucessfully to vomit when I burp. So my whole life I've tried to avoid carbonated beverages. Why? Because they make me burp. Guess what one of the blessings of pregnancy is. Burps. Yuppers. The same hormones which cause my soft tissues to swell, etc., cause my digestive system to move more slowly. So I get "filled" at a meal much earlier than you'd expect, and I get heartburn and lots and lots of burps. Now that I'm into the second trimester, and have a much healthier appetite, I burp even more. Oh, what bliss! I am enjoying the appetite's return, though. And I can handle seeing raw meat again without gagging. I even asked Ben to make bacon for me last weekend, and he did and I ate a lot of it. I used to love bacon and I was afraid that I'd never be able to enjoy it again. This might seem funny to those of you who would love to be rid of cravings for such fattening foods. I would, too. But it's just so strange when your body starts acting so unpredictably. I started feeling like I wasn't myself at all anymore. So it's good to feel a little more like me again. 

As for "babies" -- I am thinking about the plural now, not just one anymore. While I'm very hopeful (and pretty sure) of having just one baby in my womb, we did have an alarming visit to the midwives last Friday. My mom was visiting us last weekend, so I took her with me to visit the midwife, so that she could hear the baby's heartbeat live. The midwife thought that my uterus was much larger than normal for how far along I am... she was wondering about twins, but we won't find out anything for sure until the ultrasound on April 28th. CRAZY! We're hoping I just had a seemingly large uterus that day... hmmm.... but it does kinda put some of the planning and registering on hold... there are twins on both my side and Ben's side, so I guess it's not totally impossible...

No comments:

Post a Comment