Wednesday, August 25, 2010

1 July: A new sense of urgency (Jen)


In the last 4 days or so, my body has developed a new sense of urgency. When I'm hungry, it's urgent. When I have to pee, it's urgent. When I need to sit or lay down, or put my feet up, it's urgent. If I'm getting hot or if the bed mattress is too firm, something must be done. I keep telling Ben that I feel prissy, and he keeps telling me that it's not being prissy -- it's what I need to keep me and the baby healthy. Our church sanctuary doesn't have air conditioning, so on Sunday Ben spent the entire service fanning me. You see, when I get hot (and we're having a mini-heatwave in Vancouver right now), it takes a lot to cool me down again, and bad things happen in the interim. I get a headache, I have trouble hearing, my appendages swell and my shoes get tight, and I lose my ability to cope with any of it (is this what "losing your cool" refers to?). So on Sunday we spent several hours driving around Vancouver to get an air conditioner for our little apartment. When Ben finally got it all set up in our bedroom, it was 88 degrees in there. Now it's much cooler in there, and I am SO grateful!
 
On Saturday, the temperature in our place was rising, so I suggested that we go for a little road trip up to Pemberton (3 hours north of us) to pick strawberries at an organic farm (http://www.northarmfarm.com/). We both thought it would be cooler up north, and it seemed important to get me out of the house. Well, the drive there was much cooler (we had the A/C on in the car), but then I had to pee. I've been feeling Sophia move in my pubic region lately -- and it's strange! -- but I had not yet felt her put the squeeze on my bladder. She chose the car trip to start this. As I've described already, my crotch is always wet lately, and now I'm always sweaty, so this adds to the effect of all of the discharge. Well, as we were driving, all of a sudden I felt like I was beginning the process of peeing on myself. I knew that I needed to pee, and told Ben, but I thought that I'd be able to hold it for at least anouther 15 minutes. Not so, it was as if I was peeing, like it or not. So Ben pulled over, I squatted next to the car, and peed. We were both sad for me, and it was hard to wipe and get up from the squatting position, so we thought we'd learned our lesson. Nope. It happened again on the way home. Since then, I've learned that at unpredictable times, I will just pee -- with only about 30-60 seconds warning. This makes me feel very brave for ever leaving the house. And even a little foolish for having started a summer school course which lasts for 2 weeks of 2.5-hour long lectures. So far I haven't had any emergencies in class, but I'm keenly aware that I may need to get up and hussle to the washroom in a matter of seconds. I try to sit in the back, on the aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment