Wednesday, August 25, 2010

6 September: 39 weeks and early labor. (Jen)

The anticipation is definitely building -- last night felt like Christmas Eve, when you can't really make yourself sleep, but you know you need to... and today feels like Christmas Eve all over again!  :)

Here's a brief summary of the last week:
The OB to whom we were assigned ordered lots of tests. One of the tests was to determine if I have gestational diabetes. I'd done a one-hour test many weeks ago, which I passed. But polyhydramnios is most often associated with diabetes, so he wanted me to do the 3-hour fasting test Friday morning. For some reason I really do not want to find out that I have diabetes -- and that it could hurt Sophia. I started feeling really guilty that I might somehow be hurting her, and I spent almost all of Wednesday in tears over this. 

Thursday morning we had the non-stress test (everything seemed normal), followed by a quick ultrasound to measure the fluid level in there again -- it had decreased slightly since Friday of last week! Thursday night we received a call from our OB saying that after seeing the ultrasound he'd decided to see us Friday night, as opposed to waiting for our appointment scheduled for Monday night.

So Friday morning we did the 3-hour glucose tolerance test -- not fun at all! I wasn't allowed to even drink water for the 3 hours!  :(

Friday night we met the OB at the hospital, he examined me, and recommended that we induce the birth in the hospital. My cervix was dilated to 1 cm, was short, soft and angled well for delivery. All of these are signs of early labor, so the conditions were perfect for induction. Ben, the OB, and I decided that induction asap sounded good, so he put us on the list at the hospital. The hospital prioritizes the list based on the needs of the other mothers on the list, and the OB said that we'd be somewhere mid-way down the list. So, as of last night, we're just waiting for a call from the hospital to tell us to come on in and be induced (this should be just a shot of pitocin to get the contractions started, and then a regular labor and vaginal delivery)! It's soooo hard to wait!!

Ben just finished installing the car seat, our bag is packed, and we're just waiting -- trying to save our energy for labor.

We have everything we need except diapers -- they're scheduled to be delivered on Thursday, September 11th. So we think we'll just use disposable diapers until the cloth ones come on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment