Wednesday, August 25, 2010

06 April: Growing pains and my impoverished immune system (Jen)

I'm finally beginning to look pregnant. HOORAY! I feel like I've been suffering and have had nothing to show for it, until now. But along with this larger belly comes what the authors of What to Expect refer to as "growing pains". I'll let them explain: "the pregnancy equivalent of growing pains: the stretching of muscles and ligaments supporting the enlargening uterus. Most pregnant women experience these pains, which may be crampy or sharp and stabbing, and often are most noticeable when you are getting up from a bed or chair, or when you cough. The pain may be brief, or may last for several hours." (221) These pains started last weekend, when Ben and I were getting out of bed and as soon as I stood up, I felt a stabbing pain in the lower left side of my abdomen. I whispered "it hurts" and laid back down on the bed. Ben compassionately laid with me and comforted me, and after a few minutes I tried again. I thought it might be constipation or gas, but neither of those proved to be the cause. Later that day, as we finished with lunch, the same thing happened, and it lasted for about 30 minutes. Since then I get those pains on both sides, at least once a day. I now know how to handle them: move slowly and be willing to lay down as soon as they strike. They usually leave within an hour. While painful, these pains give me hope that the baby is growing well and that my body is doing its best to make a fitting home for our child. I still can't believe that I get the honor of carrying Ben's child. Wow.

Oh, and I've started gaining weight! By now I am supposed to have gained about 10 pounds; I rejoice, though, over the 2 that I've gained so far. I've been so sick -- especially in the last 3 weeks -- that I know that I've lost weight from fighting the fever, etc. Speaking of being sick, while I feel much stronger in this trimester than I did in the first, this trimester has seen the near decimation of my immune system. I am actually afraid to leave the house (except to go to church, which I look forward to each day of the week -- it feels so like home to us). I've had a cold since last Monday, with full on coughs and uber-thick green snot. My ears can get totally plugged, and the pressure in them and all up the sides of my neck can be extremely difficult to endure at times. My friend, Emily, emailed me the other day: "alas, those darn colds during pregnancy - and you can't even take anything. Actually, Jonah and I have had a pretty miserable cold the last couple days (we're on the end of it now) and as I took NyQuil last night I thought 'I'm so glad I'm not pregnant and can take this stuff!' I very distinctly remember boiling water and fresh mint quite often when I was pregnant. I would then sit over the boiling pot with a towel over my head to try to steam out the mucus (which I think your body makes more of during pregnancy)."  The worst part, for me, is the coughing. During the day, they aren't so bad, but at night, they come out. Last night and the night before were infuriating. They just keep coming, and if I actually cough something up, I usually gag on it. Imagine me in bed, sitting up straight while my body shakes with cough after cough, then I gag and my eyes begin to water. Ben has a kind hand on my back, and prays that my illness might be passed on to him. Alas, it does not. So I close our bedroom door, take a shower (maybe the humidity will loosen something up?), and sit up on the couch coughing until I exhaust myself completely and fall asleep. In these times on the couch I fight strong temptations to just take some NyQuil or get drunk enough on wine to calm my body enough to get the rest it needs. Last night Ben came out to me at about 5:30 in the morning and begged me to come back to bed. I did, but I fear that my coughs ruined any hope of sleep that either of us had had for the rest of the morning. At one point I looked over at him and he had a pillow on his head. This morning he suggested that he sleep out in the living room tonight. I don't want him to, but I guess it might be "best." This is soooo hard! We're still newly weds!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment