Wednesday, August 25, 2010

27 July: Two mean tricks played on pregnant women. (Jen)


The "pregnancy brain" is well-attested in the literature I've come across -- and the testimonies I've heard. These hormones seem to impair the memory, among other normal functions of a pregnant woman's brain. This is why I'm shocked that the makers of pre-natal vitamins would make a vitamin which is supposed to be taken three times a day. THREE times a day?!! Sometimes, in the shower, I can't even remember if I've shampooed my hair yet! How in the world, then, is a pregnant woman to remember if shes taken one, two, or three pills yet?! Especially when you're also supposed to be eating many small meals per day, and not three major ones. I'm reminded of Deuteronomy 27:18 "Cursed is the man who leads the blind astray on the road." Don't ask a memory-challenged woman to try to remember to take three pills a day!!
 
Another mean trick is to design most maternity tops and dresses with large ties that go around the top of the belly, just under the breasts. No doubt this is supposed to be "flattering" or to help the clothing grow along with your belly. But, at this point, when sitting in any kind of chair is uncomfortable, having a large knot of fabric pressed into my back, against the back of the chair, is downright painful! The last week has seen me constantly reaching behind to move the knot away from what feels like a knot-induced bruise on my back. It's hard enough to find a comfortable position in which to sit; adding a large ball of tightly-tied fabric to the mix -- and at just the height where most of my weight is being supported by the back of a chair -- is neither smart nor kind. The shifting and sliding of my bra that happens as a result of the changing size of my breasts is enough to keep my hands constantly struggling with my upper back -- I don't need another thing to chase back there!

No comments:

Post a Comment