Wednesday, August 25, 2010

22 April: Tips and tales on buying bras -- so far (Jen)

Ben and I had to make a crazy, last-minute trip to the States yesterday, to renew my passport -- it's a long story -- and almost were arrested at the border -- an even longer story. It did, however, bring us to the States, the land of cheaper oil changes, cheese, and bras. That's right. We went to TJ Maxx to get me another bra. Here's my story... Before we knew we were pregnant (5 weeks into it), my breasts were already very tender (my nipples would hurt when the water hit them in the shower!) and beginning to swell. I thought I had just gained weight over the holidays... Eventually they developed -- and still show -- a complicated interlacing of bright blue veins, visible even in my ever-enlarging and pinkening areolae (the colored area around the nipple). My nipples have changed dramatically, too! They're bigger in every respect and now seem to be made of clusters of translucent balls, much like a miniature raspberry. One breast seems to be growing and developing much slower than the other, but I'm sure that's "normal". In the second month, my bras felt very tight around my rib cage and I found that every time I breathed I wanted to unhook my bra (I think this is because as my uterus expands, it pushes my intestines up and into my lung region -- I've noticed lately that when I have lots of gas, the area above my navel gets really hard -- I think that's because my uterus is taking up the space below my navel and forcing everything into a smaller area). We decided that it was time to buy me a larger bra.

When Mom and Dad Amundgaard came to visit us in February, they bought me two XL sports bras to sleep in (I find it very uncomfortable to ever be without some kind of support -- and I've heard that wearing sleeping bras can help protect against sagging boobs). Those bras were so comfortable that they were all I wore for about a month; then I/the babe had a growth spurt and they no longer fit. A friend of ours, with a new baby, suggested that we buy a larger nursing bra and start using that now. So we bought one from Motherhood Maternity for about $35 -- it has padded straps and little hooks at the top of each breast to let one side down at a time -- cool. When we bought it, the woman helping us told us to make sure that I could fit my fist in with my breast, because my breasts could grow that much more before the baby's born. So we did -- and it's a little big, but much more comfortable than the other bras. I wore it everyday and sometimes nights, and didn't wash it for about a month. We decided it was time to buy me another bra so that I could at least trade out while I was doing laundry. My mom came to visit and bought me a pregnancy camisole with a built-in nursing bra. Now I sleep in the camisole and trade out between it and the bra when I do laundry. So I'm pretty well set. What to Expect, though, says that some women can expect their breasts to increase 3 cup sizes!! Mine have already increased one cup size and 3 sizes around my rib cage -- and my milk hasn't even come in!! The book also mentions that wearing underwire bras can cause mastitis, but I can't stand how my boobs look and feel without underwire, so everything I have bought -- and hope to buy -- has wire (except the camisole, which makes it comfy for sleeping in). I'll let you know how the wire thing goes.

That was the "tales" part; now for the "tips". With what I know now, this is what I wish I'd bought: one XL sports bra for sleeping in during the first trimester; one maternity camisole with built-in (non-nursing) bra to sleep in during the second trimester (one cup size larger than pre-pregnancy and 2 sizes larger around the rib cage -- and non-nursing camisoles sell at Target for under $20 whereas my nursing camisole was around $40 -- thanks, Mom!); probably 3 normal bras from TJ Maxx or Ross or the like (they're about $7 each at TJ Maxx, so I'd get one for the first trimester that's larger around the rib cage; one for the second that's larger in cup and rib cage; and one for the third trimester that's larger yet in both places); and then, about 2 weeks before the baby's due, I'd buy one or two nursing bras. Of course, I'm only about half-way through pregnancy, so I may change my mind on this yet, but that's what I'd recommend now.

P.S. I have another cold. Unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment