Wednesday, August 25, 2010

2010 5 July: DAY 1, Disappointment. (Jen)


What a hard day. I’m so sad and disappointed. She pees on herself and doesn’t react at all. Just keeps playing without saying a word. And by the end of the day, she would say “no! no! no!” when I asked her to sit on the potty or take off her panties. It was a struggle sometimes, too, to get her to put her panties back on. I can’t believe how hard this is! I feel like I did in the first months after she was born, emotionally and physically exhausted. My throat is hoarse from singing songs and cheering. And I feel like we haven’t taken any steps forward – only backward.

At first, she wanted to wear every pair of panties we’d bought and it felt like she was peeing as quickly as she could so that she’d get to go through each pair as fast as possible. I set the alarm on my cell phone to play a fun song every 20 minutes. I gave her lots of water, soy milk, juice, whatever she wanted to drink. The alarm would sound and we’d do a fun/silly dance to the bathroom, giggling as we went to the potty. She’d sit there and I’d read her books for about ten minutes. Then she’d say “all done” and we’d pull up her panties (she gets the front and I get the back) and go out to the living room, where she’d start to play and then promptly pee on herself without saying a word. The next time the alarm would sound, I’d ask her if she needed to pee. “No.” So we’d skip it. The next time, I’d tell her it was time to try and she’d dance with me to the bathroom, but then say no about taking her panties off and would lock her knees and refuse to sit on the potty. But she was peeing every 35-40 minutes, mostly on the floor.

She peed in the potty 3 or 4 times and I was so proud – and so was she! She’d whisper “pee pee” as soon as it started and then stand up and empty her potty into the toilet. All day long I was wondering if she was just too young for this and if I’d become one of those pushy parents who makes their kids achieve milestones way too early… and stresses out their kids. I don’t want to be that at all! I honestly thought I was following her lead! But maybe we should just quit now and try again in a few months…? The thing is, she seems like she’s developmentally there. She’s smart and she knows all about the process and her body parts… it’s just not connecting somehow. But it’s only the first day…

No comments:

Post a Comment